Greetings Lincoln Park Academy Families!
I hope that everyone enjoyed a safe, healthy and fun Winter Break. Scholars returned to school rested and
ready to learn. We missed our students as much as they missed us.
Students are wrapping up I-Ready Winter Diagnostics in Reading and Math. This assessment “shows what
your child knows” and it outlines the academic gains our scholars have made. Details of your child’s
performance will be shared during Parent Teacher Conferences. Mark your calendar for February 16th. Details
will be sent home in a few weeks.
– From the Desk of Ms. Clugh
Character Word Spotlight: Fairness
Our character trait this month is FAIRNESS– what it means, and why it’s important! Below are many ways that you can help your child continue to learn about the theme of FAIRNESS through reading about it, talking about it, and practicing it! We have really enjoying exploring this topic at school, and we hope your family will enjoy it just as much!
READ ABOUT IT!
Here are some books to help you learn more about being FAIRNESS:
-It’s Mine by Leo Lionni
-The Little Red Hen by Paul Galdone
-No Fair!: Kids Talk About Fairness by Nancy Loewen
-The Sandbox by Don Rowe
Tell your child that you are going to have a race. Choose a starting line and a finish line. Once you get to the starting line, tell him/her that you get to take 5 steps forward because you are the adult. Then race and talk about whether or not it was a FAIR race.
TALK ABOUT IT!
Here are some discussion points to help you talk about FAIRNESS with your child:
- What do you think fairness means and why is it important?
- Tell me about a time when you were treated fairly. How did it make you feel?
- Tell me about a time when you were treated unfairly. How did it make you feel?
- Have you ever treated anyone else unfairly? Tell me about it.
- What would you do if you saw someone else being treated unfairly?
- January 6th: 2nd grade Aquarium Field Trip
- January 13th: Report Cards sent home
- January 16th: No school
- January 17th-18: I-Ready Bingo reward for students who met their I-Ready goals
- January 18th: Nature Tracks is coming to LPA!
- January 20th: STEM day to showcase the launch of our new Saturday School Programming. Please call the office if you would like more info.
- February 3rd: Den Day
- February 16th: Parent Teacher Conferences